Apr 2, 2009

obscure movie pick of the week: The Return


You wont be able to get this movie out of your head for quite some time after seeing it. Russian writer/director Andrei Zvyagintsev's debut film Vozvrashcheniye (The Return) explores the mixed emotions and layered tension the return of a missing father brings upon two brothers.

A stunning, haunting film with one of the best ending pay-offs I've ever seen, The Return is impossible to categorize with elements from many different genres and more to say than most other films combined. Expect to use your brain for this one because it doesn't tie up the loose ends at the end Hollywood-style, that's your job. The performances are flawless, particularly from the main child actor, and the cinematography is nothing short of (subtle) brilliance. This movie hits your heart like a ton of bricks, half of which you don't even feel until the credits have long since rolled by.

1 comment:

  1. I was truely moved by this film when I first saw it a couple of years ago. Simply recalling its images moves me to this day. I quickly added it to my movie collection. Anxiously awaiting to see other works from this director.

    ReplyDelete