Jun 3, 2009

discovering art in an embarrassing way


Have you ever discovered great art in an embarrassing way? Today I became enamored with a work by Picasso (The Two Saltimbanques [Harlequin and his Companion], 1901) when a co-worker gave me a 2x4 in. sticker of it. The only other thing I could compare this to would be the few times I've heard a song to an Apple or shampoo commercial and was left google-ing for it. Could one have a legitimate "moment" of artistic discovery, self reflection, or even sublimity with what is essentially an artwork (at the very least) thrice removed from its original source?

Unfortunatly, today I think I did...
'Tis the world we now live in, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. I actually had a long conversation after reading this. In a grand scale, yeah it's kinda embarrassing...I found out about Air through a car commercial. It is the world we live in. You can't escape it.

    Even as an art student, most of the art we've studied and love we've only seen in books. Books can't be more legit than a sticker or commercial because it's how we communicate now.

    ReplyDelete