Feb 23, 2010

The (ominous) White Ribbon

After thinking about the film off and on for the past couple of days (it was finally released in my area), Michael Haneke’s hypnotizing, mesmerizing Palme d'Or winning The White Ribbon is now on my end of ‘09 list as my second favorite movie from last year (probably even a “better” film then my favorite, Up in the Air). I need to see it again, but it's safe to say Haneke can’t fail! Not only is The White Ribbon impeccably made, with incredible, stark black and white cinematography and a subtle screenplay, the perfect blend of understated terror with a hint of humanity (usually lacking in his films); but the film (yet again) is a smart, scathing critique on imperialism, capitalism, and the powers that be (then, in pre-WWI Sweden, and now). It’s also a history lesson. The small town of the film is the micro within the macro of the world stage at the time.

The White Ribbon is nothing short of brilliant and solidifies Haneke's legacy even further, as if he needed it. If you can find it in theaters, go see it! NOW! Before it’s gone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey you remember that crazy vintage long-sleeve polyester shirt I wore last week? Well, I had a twitter post that I typed and saved, but which I never sent because I meant to take a twitpic of the shirt to attach which I never got around to. Anyway, it went like this: "Today's shirt throws into stark relief the cruel hegemony of conventionally defined notions of 'good taste.'"

    But so when I read this film review, i recalled that little sentence, and I was sure I'd included the phrase "scathing critique" in it. And yet I hadn't. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete