Jun 26, 2010

love fades... again

Better than couples therapy, writer/director Maren Ade's Alle Anderen (Everyone Else) is the all too true-to-life story of two young lovers painfully figuring out their relationship isn't all its cracked up to be. On more than one occasion I found myself relating specifically to the disconnect felt between the two main characters. Sure, we all know love fades, but rarely have I seen a film chronicle the process so thoroughly and with such attention to detail. The end result is heartbreaking, at times grueling to watch. We've all been there and will probably be there again (just look at the title!).

I'm still figuring out the details, but I think the film is attempting to present the evolution of relationships in the past century and how we are slowly becoming more disconnected, if casual as a society when it comes to love. Pretty fascinating. Timely. Contemporary. And, as the youngest in the theater by far, something I believe was lost on most everyone else in the audience. 

If you're in the Miami area, see this great, superbly acted film at the Tower Theater on Calle Ocho before its run ends. If you're young and ever been in love, you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. "Never gonna fall for : Modern Love!"

    How come we didn't talk about the beginning!? With the little girl screaming "I HATE YOU!" because I truely hated everyone in this film.

    "don't believe in Modern Love!"

    ReplyDelete