Mar 18, 2009

"a painting has a life of its own, i have to let it live"


[wrote this a while ago but never quite finished it the way I wanted... figured I'd finally just post it anyway]


Many artists, from Pollock to Warhol to Basquiat, spoke (perhaps facetiously) of a particular state of mind they got into, a zone, a place where they ceased being artists and taped into something else, something unexplainable and very different. Some argue this is a metaphysical or ethereal place the artist is pulling from, when an artist is no longer thinking of his art nor is he an artist but instead merely a tool for something that already exists (be it somewhere out there in the ether, in a parallel universe, etc.) to be transcribed and communicated for others to look at, ponder, be enlightened by, and enjoy. Their work is "meant" to change the world (at the risk of losing credibility, it's kind of like in that recent mediocre movie by M. Night Shyamalan
).

Others think these people are taking crazy pills. And some fall somewhere along the middle.

And so, the question arises (as it did at work, in my case, one inspired afternoon): What do you think? Are these moments of unexplained artistic genius moments in which the planets align and we gain a glimpse into an another universe; are they simply products of a night of drug induced hallucinations; or do these moments fall somewhere in-between, unconsciously grabbed from a collective subconscious otherwise untapped by and hidden from the masses?


I, for one, fall somewhere along the middle. I believe we are what we create and vice versa (what we create is a product of who we are). We may not be aware of it but even when we get lost in something we love (be it art or even another human being) it explains chapters worth of who we are and what we truly care for, live for, and yearn for. Perhaps these artists are taping into something which we might’ve been better aware of earlier during our childhoods, but is now clouded after years of disillusionment as we've grow older and colder.

Pollock and his contemporaries have always been a general point of interest and perennial favorite of mine. No matter how new or daring contemporary art gets I always go back to them.


Now I turn it over to you:

1. Check out the video below (listen, particularly)...


2. Think about the above...


3. Let me know what you think...




"sometimes i lose the painting... "


3 comments:

  1. I believe that everyone is capable of these moment not just to an artist who is a "genius." Though some people are more in tune to these moments (or what I think energy) that makes them sensitive.

    I've never done drugs before, but I think most people do it in order to get these moments-which I think is too easy and not sincere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. both valid points, particularly about the drugs (although i'm sure there are plenty out there who would beg to differ and make a compelling argument for it).

    while i do believe anyone can have these "moments", i feel there are definitely some who are predisposed to make great things (be it in their genes or through their upbringing). rare individuals who create, not because they want to, but because they have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You as a viewer make what they create great. Com'on Misael-Why aren't there any great female artist? Because of the canon. Though I do agree there are individuals who create because they have to. That though-in my opinion doesn't necessary mean that its good or that their artwork will change the world.

    I'm not sure if my understand of what you're trying to say and my interpretation is just getting lost in translation.

    My word verification for this comment is STABB. weird.

    ReplyDelete