Nov 26, 2009

THE list of the decade

Why am i so obsessed with making lists and reading lists and obsessing over lists...


Speaking of lists, while I've been working on this list of the best/my favorite films of the past 10 years (really 9 and 3/4) I came across: 1) An even better idea and 2) a couple other lists I made in the past.

My even better idea (though, don't worry, I'm still producing that best films list) is a list of the best artists of the decade, regardless of medium. This list would include visual artists, musicians, film directors and actors (and maybe cinematographers and writers), architects, and perhaps writers(though I'm not exactly an expert on the subject). I've come up with a rough sketch but was wondering if others could help. Not sure how many readers, if any, I have out there, but what do you think are the best artists of the decade past? Let me know and they probably will make it on my list.

Some of (many of) these could go. Here's what I got so far:

Michael Haneke
Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne - really hit their stride in the 2000s with Le Fils in 2003 and L'Enfant in 2006.
Alejandro González Iñárritu
Alfonso Cuarón
Werner Herzog
Paul Greengrass
Ryan Gosling
Paul Giamatti
Daniel Day-Lewis
Cate Blanchett
Penelope Cruz
Tilda Swinton
Meryl Streep - played out but never overrated.
Judd Apatow - for better or worse.
Charlie Kaufman
Spike Jonze
Wes Anderson
Michel Gondry
Gus Van Sant
Pixar

Jeff Koons (?)
Damien Hirst - though his heyday might've been the 90s, Hirst continued in popularity and critical acclaim in the 2000s.
Olafur Eliasson
Doug Aitken
Paul Chan
Pipilotti Rist
Tracey Emin
Cai Guo-Qiang
Neo Rauch
Jesper Just
TM Sisters
Christo and Jeanne-Claude - sure they had the 80s and 90s (and the 70s for that matter) but what about The Gates?! This blog hearts Christo and Jeanne-Claude.


TV on the Radio
Arcade Fire
Animal Collective
Panda Bear
Girl Talk
Dan Deacon
Kanye West
M.I.A.
The Raveonettes
Cat Power
Madvillain - seperately and together.
Wilco
Bierut
Sufjan Stevens
The White Stripes - sorry, had to.
Outkast
Jay-Z
Danger Mouse
Radiohead
T-Pain (?)
Jens Lekman


Herzog & de Meuron

Dave Eggers


Need more visual artists. Need MANY more architects. And I might just leave writers out all together. Lets see how this list pans out in the weeks to come...


In the meantime, here's a list I came up with a year or two ago: the best films on the "female experience." Yes, I know. This is from a guy. So really, what do I know?! These are all films that I feel epitomize what it means to be a women, with all it's struggle and passion, accurately chronicling the angst and frustration felt by lighter sex while trying to deal with all the world places upon them. These aren't solely female empowerment or feminist films but, deeper than that, most of them are a celebration of women, admiring courageousness they display when at their best. 

In no particular order...

Volver
Girl Interrupted
The Hours
Marie Antoinette
Marnie
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
Pride and Prejudice
Persona (duly noted. not sure how I forgot this one)

Short, I know, but sweet.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your list for the "female experience", for the most part. I have not seen Marnie. I would maybe add Persona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I left out Persona. How embarrasing. That movie is easily the best on here and probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete