Jan 11, 2010

I ♥ Grandma ('09 mixtape)



Completely jacking one of my favorite podcasts, this is my mixtape for the year that ended almost two weeks ago. But first, a bit of an explanation:

This mix (album cover above) is a very personal one, and looking at most of the songs on here, a very emo(tional) one. I feel like quite the dork, bracketing this mix with The Smiths' There is a Light that Never Goes Out and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. But, not only were they songs I loved and listened to incessantly at the beginning and end of 2009, respectively, they also rather accurately express how I entered the year and how I exited it. Sure I've got Animal Collective on here (that was in everyone's ears in '09), but I've also got Au Revoir Simone and Kelly Clarkson, two female acts that in my humble opinion don't get enough respect (though the former deserves far more respect than the latter). Two Camera Obscura songs end Side A and begin Side B; that album was my breakup album, pretty much all I listened to for about a month and a half. Also, me being the hopeless optimist, the final two songs are a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

I placed some of the songs in chronological order, many of them describing a major love (and love lost) in my life, but most of them are simply songs I felt throughout the year (songs I really related to), many of which I flat-out loved.

I've added links to sendspace in case you don't have one or any of these fine tracks. But download them now, before their deleted.

Finally, while creating it, the list of songs naturally formed into two very separate acts...


Side A 
The Smiths - There is a Light that Never Goes Out

Girls - Hellhole Ratrace
Sometimes you've just gotta make it for yourself.
Sometimes baby, you just need someone else.

And I dont want to cry my whole life through.

I want to do some laughing too.
So come on, come on, come on, come on, laugh with me.
And I dont want to die without shaking up a leg or two.
Yeah, I want to do some dancing too.
So come on, come on, come on, come on, dance with me.


The xx - VCR

Au Revoir Simone - Anywhere You Looked

Discovery - Orange Shirt

Japandroids - Young Hearts Spark Fire
Oh! We used to dream! Now we worry about dying! 
I don't wanna worry about dying. I just wanna worry about those sunshine and girls.

Animal Collective - My Girls

Jenny Lewis - Trying My Best to Love You

Neko Case - This Tornado Loves You
I have waited with a glacier's patience.
Smashed every transformer with every trailer,
till nothing was standing
sixty-five miles wide.
Still, you are nowhere...
Still, you are nowhere,
nowhere in sight.


Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone

Camera Obscura - French Navy
You and your dietary restrictions
said you loved me with a lot of conviction.
I was waiting to be struck by lightning,
waiting for somebody exciting...

like you.
Oh, the thing that you do.
You make me go, "Oooh"
with the things that you do, you do, you do.

I wanted to control it
but love, I couldn't hold it.
I wanted to control it
but love, I couldn't hold it.


Side B
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
I'll brace myself for the loneliness,

say hello to feelings that I detest

This maudlin career has come to an end.
I don't want to be sad again.


M. Ward - Jailbird
So who's gonna here your "help me, help me" now?
Better go find another best friend somehow.

She & Him - Take it Back

TV On The Radio - Family Tree
Were hanging in the shadow of your family tree
your haunted heart and me
brought down by an old idea whose time has come.
And in the shadow of the gallows of your family tree
there's a hundred hearts or three
pumping blood to the roots of evil to keep them young.


Mew - Sometimes Life Isn't Easy

Patrick Watson - Beijing
Woke up in Beijing. 
In someone else's arms. 
Through someone else's life 
that I'm not sure belongs to me.

Lykke Li - Dance, Dance, Dance
Having trouble telling how I feel, but I can dance, dance, dance. (never fails)

New Order - Leave Me Alone

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Noah and the Whale - Blue Skies

The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
Sweet disposition,
never too soon.
Oh reckless abandon,
like no one's watching you

A moment. A love.
A dream aloud.
A kiss. A cry.
Our rights. Our wrongs.
A moment. A love.
A dream aloud.
A moment. A love.
A dream aloud.

So stay there!
cause i'll be comin' over.
And while our bloods still young,
it's so young
it runs.
And we won't stop til it's over.
Won't stop to surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment