Dec 16, 2009

THE list of the decade: part 2, this might take a while

This list, to name the best artists of the decade, is ridiculous, I know. But it's been quite fun, regardless. I don't think I'll be done with it for a little while longer, but just so you know I'm working on it, below are a couple more names to add to the list.

I've decided to keep authors, although I won't have many of them. And just to clarify, this list aims to include a mix of what I surmised to be the most influential, important, and downright good artists of the past decade. I'll add to my initial list the following:

Jim Hodges
Pae White
William Cordova
William Pope L
Maurizio Cattelan
Richard Serra - Now 70 years old, Serra continued as an artistic force to be reckoned with in the art world throughout the 2000s.

Lars Von Trier
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood. Need I say more? Not really, but what about Punch Drunk Love and Magnolia? Enough said.
George Clooney

Daft Punk
Björk - One of the most important musicians of the 90s was one of the most important musicians of the 2000s. Here's to another decade Bjork!
Sigur Rós
Coldplay - Regardless of what you think about their sentimental music, their influence in the music world (for better or worse) is undeniable.
Eminem - Similar to how I feel about Coldplay, this man was (is?) huge.
Missy Elliott
Timbaland
The Black Eyed Peas - Along with Kanye West, one of the greatest taste-makers of the past decade.
Justin Timberlake - this decade's MJ? Not quite, but he's still got another decade left in him to prove me wrong.

Frank Gehry - I know, he didn't produce much new architecture in the 2000s besides the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, but that building, along with the Guggenheim in Bilbao, are two of the most photographed, influential archetectural works of the past decade.

Junot Díaz - A genius. He needs to write more novels (they're the only ones I ever feel compelled to actually pick up and read!).
Edwidge Danticat
Nick Hornby

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting me into Junot Diaz, I literally recommend him all the time.

    Annnd, wasn't there an old man sleeping next to us when we were watching There Will Be Blood? hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes, I believe there was some elderly gentlemen sleeping next to us during There Will Be Blood (not sure how one would manage that). Hilarious.

    And I'm always recommending Junot Diaz myself!... It's like a never-ending domino effect of people recommending Junot Diaz!

    ReplyDelete