Dec 19, 2008

the AV Club posts their top 10 films of the year


Here is the AV Club's list of the 10 best films of the year. Quite a good list considering this was a let-down of a year for film, particularly after '07's fantastic roster of films. As they put it (hitting the nail on the head), this year was filled with many small gems but few standout achievements.

WALL-E and 4 Months, 3 Weeks And 2 Days are two favorites that I was happy to see here.
Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park (his Milk is also on the list) is the standout here (as is Surfwise, a film I've never heard of). Certainly a deserving film but absent from most other year-end lists, I'm sure Paranoid Park will be on mine. Surprisingly high on the list, but not without reason, Charlie Kaufman's stunning directorial debut Synecdoche, New York and Rachel Getting Married are two films that if it weren't an "off year" I wouldn't expect to be this popular. They're truly acquired tastes, but definitely worth your time.

And while one of the best end-of-the-year lists I've seen thus far, there are a few glaring omissions (some, favorites of mine) including: The Visitor, (Palm d'Ore winner) The Class, Happy-Go-Lucky, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Slumdog Millionaire.


I'm still compiling my top 30 (which I've been putting together annually for many years now). I'll post it here as soon as I feel I've seen enough films.

No comments:

Post a Comment