Dec 17, 2008

don't look at me while i desparage the arts


I don't like to watch movies on my ipod. Ever since I took a political art class in which my professor accused watching films on ipods and other such miniature devices as ruining the medium. "It's like seeing a Rothko in person vs. looking at a picture of one in your textbook," he said. And I agree (to a point. there are films and video art that are meant to be seen on tiny screens but thats another discussion for another day). There's nothing like seeing your favorite Kubrick or Malick masterpiece on a movie screen, the former of which I sadly have yet to do.

But at times I make the exception if I've seen the film a numerous amount of times (the other day I saw The 400 Blows on my ipod, cheering me up severely) or if it's a comedy or a film with standard/generic cinematography.

I am currently creating a digital file of Woody Allen's Manhattan for my ipod. While a hilarious comedy, the film has some of the most stunning visuals. Allen's mise-en-scene completely changes from his previous films and the entire thing is filmed in gorgeous black and white. I'm really looking forward to maybe watching it on my way back from New York next week. However I'm severely torn between the convenience and its quality.

Should I simply wait to see my films only when I can get in front of a 40" screen (or bigger)? Or should I embrace new technology that allows me to watch my favorite films whenever I can? Does it matter how I see a film as long as I see it and I'm aware of the differences in quality? I guess what I'm afraid of is not how I watch the film, but how I'm seen watching the film. I feel as though I'm contributing to the degradation and mass (re)production of art in our society. It's not the mere fact that I'm watching a film on a 2" screen, it's the attitude behind my actions, an attitude that I'm perpetuating by watching Woody Allen's seminal classic Manhattan on my 2" ipod screen. . .

Well, I already stopped buying cds in favor of digital music. I guess I just don't have the willpower. . . just, please, don't look at me.

1 comment:

  1. even though i can see your point as to "ruining the medium", i don't necessarily agree with you. but i feel bad for my last comment so i'm not here to be rude or curt. humor turned to abuse and i'll have to live with that. ;-)

    love,
    the philistine.
    (you really have to see The Squid and the Whale)

    ReplyDelete