Dec 17, 2008

standing up for surrealism


At work:
"Yeah, I can't wait to go to New York. At MOMA there's this Miró retro of sorts. Looks good."
"Miró. Isn't he a surrealist? Surrealism is lame."
"Yeah, but he's that second kind of surrealism, not like Dali."
"Still does nothing for me."
"Yeah me neither, but you can't deny its historical importance. Miró and others led to Pollock and the abstract expressionists, for instance."
"What! NARRATIVE surrealism has nothing to do with NON-OBJECTIVE abstract expressionism."
"In that aspect, you're right, but
Miró was amongst those that popularized automatism, which, along with Kandinsky and Dadaism, led directly to Pollock, especially his earlier stuff which did have some figures. Not to mention surrealism's ties with Freudian thought and the unconscious. Pollock and Co. were all about the powers of the unconscious."
"Yeah. . . I guess."

1 comment:

  1. Pipilotti Rist has a sweet video installation at MoMA! Not that I've seen it yet, but I saw an interview on the process. Let me know how it is if you get a chance to see it.

    ReplyDelete